Our programme provides a year of support and mentoring for a student or young person.
The Transition Programme offers
Our transition service helps create a seamless movement for students and young adults into activities that form the basis of their adult lives and is in line with their aspirations and goals, including:
- Practical work preparation and experience to support future career and employment choices
- Development of skills based around chosen occupations
- A greater understanding of the working environment
- An appreciation of how learning and personal development can help towards goals
- Exploration of community involvement and training opportunites.
How to enrol in the Transition programme
Funding available for the Transition Programme
This service is offered free of charge to young people with experience of disability or significant illness who are:
- High or Very High Needs ORS funded students (Ministry of Education Ongoing Resourcing scheme) in their last year of school (Under the Ministry of Social Development Contract)
- Non-ORS funded students* preparing to leave school (through philanthropic donation)
- Emerge also offers the opportunity for private sponsors to pay for transition services or by individuals self-funding.*
*The number of spaces is dependent upon funding and varies from year to year.
MSD ORS Funded Students
Criteria for students applying for the MSD funded Transition Programme:
- must have current High or Very High Needs ORS funding
- must be in their last year of school
- must be under 21 years of age
MSD funded Transition Programme details:
- Services are for 1 year whilst the student remains in school
- Enrolments begin in the last half of the school year, before the student’s final year
- Emerge’s goal is to offer students direct entry into Supported Employment Services after they have completed transition.
Students and young people not MSD funded
Emerge seeks charitable funding to provide places for students whose transition is not currently funded by MSD. This means that places are limited by the amount of funding we receive for any one year.
These transition services are open to young people with experience of disability who:
- are nearing their final year of high school
- have left high school before making connections to help them participate in the community and who need help finding paid employment, voluntary work, recreational or vocational activities.
Transition service details:
- We offer a Transition Service designed to meet the individual needs and goals of each young person
- Providing this service depends on the amount of philanthropic funding received for that year
- Emerge’s goal is to offer students direct entry into Supported Employment Services after they have completed the Transition Programme.
Private sponsors (Funding from parents, family and other sponsors)
Emerge offers the opportunity for family or other sponsors to fund a young person through our transition programme. Contact us for further information about private sponsors.